Saturday, November 29, 2008

Book Chain letter thing

So Laura tagged me in this blog chain letter thing.  I normally think these things are lame, but this one sounded fun, so I am passing it along.  

Go to your nearest bookshelf.  On the top shelf (or highest shelf with books) what book is fifth from the right and why did you love it?  Now go to the bottom shelf (or lowest shelf with books).  Tell us about the fifth book from the left.  Then tag five of your blog buddies - link please! - do the same.  Be sure to link the person who tagged you too.

Top shelf fifth from the Right - 
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
So I read this book when I was 13 and volunteering at the library during the summer and I remember really liking it. This was the start of my "I wish I was a prep school boy" phase and I was reading a lot of 1920s/30s literature (Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Elliot ...) and fantasizing about getting up early and rowing crew on a lake in New England, wearing preppy sweaters and dicking around.  I realize that it is probably a little strange for a girl to dream about being a prep school boy ... but its not that I ever wanted to actually be a boy.  I just wanted to live the carefree life of wealthily playboy in the 1920s.  Of course if I had actually paid any attention to the the books I was reading I would have realized that life was not really what I wanted at all ... oh well. What can I say, I was a little too obsessed with the Dead Poet Society.  I should probably re-read This Side of Paradise again and see what I think about it now!  

Bottom shelf, fifth from the left - (this one is funny)
The Dieter's Guide to Weight Loss During Sex  by Richard Smith.
So before you start getting any crazy ideas in your head ... my roommate in college my freshmen year gave me this book for my birthday.  It was a pretty hilarious gift ... unfortunately for me this book is not really all that useful right now, given my current state of spinsterhood, but maybe one day (hopefully soon) I can start my new exercise regime???  To give you taste of what this book is all about I will now open to a random page and share ...

Page 85 
Consequence of Premature Ejaculation for Male (I swear this is the first page I opened up to)

Activity.................................... Calories Burned 
Cursing...............................................10
Apologizing........................................3
Sniveling.............................................5
Pleading for mercy............................8
Begging for another chance .............15

Haha, this book is filled with other wonderful gems ... and now when someone searched "premature ejaculation" on the internet, my blog will probably show up ... 

I dont really have all that many blog friends ... so Anna and Pete you are it.  

7 comments:

Mike said...

I just burned 500 calories. Thanks for enlightening me.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

That is hilarious! What are we doing wasting our time with swimming and biking??
PS I accidentally posted that as Chris a second ago, that's why you have a deleted comment. :)

Anonymous said...

So, I had already read this because I was going to make ya do dis (as it turned out, you already had), but I am just now reading comments. Reading Michael's comment, I had to go back and read the original post to find whatever he was referring to. Turns out, that it would be quite difficult to burn that many calories with the example that you have given us. So would Michael care to enlighten us? Was it just profuse cursing or was it just a copious mixture of all of the above?

Anonymous said...

Ooooo...I just thought of something so I have to lay another comment down. Do comments show up in searches? Fellatio.
Well if they do and you get comments from weirdos you will know that I added to the fun. Cheers, m

Rachel said...

OMG ... thank you so much Matt, I really appreciate it. :) Yes, I was also wondering how many times Mike (Michael is canada Mike, just in case you wanted to know) had above mentioned problem ... I was thinking that maybe he had cause to curse about 50 times?? Sad

Amy said...

That book passage made me laugh really hard. I'm glad this book thread (chain letter as Matt likes to refer to it) is going around!